I while ago, I wrote about stuff I don't get about dogs and one of the things was why do they lick. I promised to have a heart to heart with my Mr. Fartz to see what's behind all off the frigging licking and I did. Well, it wasn't so much of a heart-to-heart as it was a tongue-to-foot but I've got some answers. So why do dogs lick?
- Licking is a dog code for: "You need a shower, dude." It's their way of helping your social life. And when your dog thinks your hygiene is questionable... There's your reason why your social life isn't as cheery as you'd like.
- Obsessive licking can possibly lead to the fact that you haven't fed them for the past 3 days so your dog's trying to tell you that he/she's hungry. But you've obviously trained him/her well enough not to eat you, so he/she's just licking. For now.
- It's a form of punishment. You took their toy away, bathed them, haven't walk them often enough, didn't give them your leftovers or something along those lines so they hate you and they want you to smell as bad as their breath.
- They were maniac sex offenders in their previous lives and old habits do die hard. And sometimes never.
- Because they want to get inside your head but they took the idiom literally so they're licking where they can to accomplish their mission. And truth be told, you never do let them lick your face!
You might think this list is bonkers, you might disagree with some of the points but that's what my dog said. And in case you are wondering why my dog is licking me, I can assure you that it's none of the reasons listed above (ok, maybe a bit of number 3 or 1, but I'm not sure). My doggy said that he's licking me because he likes me - that's the way dogs hug. But why do I think dogs lick? Because you let them. As simple as that. Dogs lick because you let them, you perv.
Don't forget to follow via Twitter and/or share if you have a dog, would like to have a dog, like dogs, don't mind dogs or would just like dogs to leave you alone. There are new posts coming up every Monday, Wednesday and Friday so I hope you'll be back this Wednesday. Whether you decide to pop by again or not, enjoy the rest of your week!