If you're like me, then you already know who Larry Flynt is. But I'm guessing not a lot of people are like me (which is a good thing because I can be really annoying), so you may not know who he is, that's why I'll just fill you in quickly: He's an American business mogul who made most of his fortune thanks to publishing pornographic material. Have you ever hear of Hustler (DON'T click on the link if vaginas, penises and breasts scare you (why do I have a feeling that my little warning just made 85 % of people click the link))? That's him, he's Hustler.
Mr. Flynt published his first Hustler Newsletter back in 1972 which was of course met with great disapproval and was prosecuted on obscenity several times. People wanted to prevent him from publishing his magazine, but he stood his ground all the way to Supreme Court. All his life, he has been an avid advocate of the freedom of speech and I can't help but admire him for his spunk, dedication and contribution to the realization of the evasive concept. But why did I decide to write about him out of all people today?
A few days ago I decided to put up AdSense (Google's advertising program) on my site because a bunch of people had been asking me why I hadn't done that already and I wanted to explore that option anyway so I went ahead and did it. Straight away, I encountered some issues because Blogger has a bug (not just one but that's another story) and something wasn't working properly (or at all) so I turned to the AdSense support forum for help. Instead of answers and advice on possible solutions I got a "suggestion" to change my content or else AsSense will cancel my account. Why? Because I talk about vaginas and penises (you can read the entire thing here). I was flaming mad. I've seen a bunch of pages instigating hatred and intolerance (against gays, against tattooed people, against blacks, against animals, etc.) but they all had AdSense ads, while I SOMETIMES (not all the time in every single post) speak about something as innocent as body parts - if anything, I promote more love than less, for the opposite sex, for the same sex, for yourself, doesn't matter. Besides, my mom reads my posts, for Peet's sake. And she likes them! How bad can they be?!
I'm not insinuating that mine and Mr. Flynt's situation are the same, far from it. His rights were severely violated while mine aren't: I don't have the right to have AdSense on my page, while Google does in fact have the right to cancel my account. It's all fine and dandy, but it made me feel like I'm the biggest pervert on the planet and us pervs have to stick together so today I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes by Mr. Larry Flynt:
- The two most misused words in the entire English vocabulary are love and friendship. A true friend would die for you, so when you start trying to count them on one hand, you don't need any fingers.
- Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.
- You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goal aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.
- Religion has caused more harm than any other idea since the beginning of time. There's nothing good I can say about it. People use it as a crutch.
- Moses freed the Jews. Lincoln freed the slaves. I freed the neurotics.
- People aren't interested in others controlling what they can do or read or see in the privacy of their own homes.
- There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.
- A pig has just as many rights as a man.
- Along with a strong belief in your own inner voice, you also need laser-like focus combined with unwavering determination.
- Just because I publish pornography does not mean that I'm not concerned about the social ills that all of us are.
- What is more obscene: porn or war?
- If the human body's obscene, complain to the manufacturer, not to me.
- You have to be able to tolerate what you don't necessarily like so you can be free.
Although my ears have been blood red with anger for the past two days, maybe all of this has been a blessing in disguise. Since people at AdSense were concerned some advertisers will be offended by my choice of words and topics, now I don't have to worry about the sensitive advertisers' ears (or eyes) and I can write whatever I want and right now all I want to write is fuck, shit, ass, bitch, cunt - don't blame me, I'm just quoting Eminem.
|Blazer: eBay, top: DIY, leggings: Forever21, earrings: DIY, boots: eBay|
Don't forget to follow FPS via Twitter, Bloglovin or Google+! Also don't forget to drop by again later this week - posting days are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. And especially don't forget to fucking loosen up!